Wood slice everything is so trendy right now. Here’s how to make an Easy DIY Wood Slice Wall Hook.
Like a lot of people, I am loving wood slice everything right now. So, I wanted to figure out how to add it to my home decor. Luckily, I came up with a couple of ways to add this cute trend to my home. Today, I’m sharing how to make an easy DIY wood slice wall hook with you. And it turned out so pretty, right?!
I love the way this wood slice wall hook just pops off my kitchen wall and draws your eye to those fun aprons. Wood is just such a great warming, cozy element to decorate with right now. It just grounds a room and gives it such appeal. At least, I think so. How about you?
A couple of weeks ago, I made this super cute and easy DIY Red Truck Christmas Centerpiece with a wood slice. That DIY has been pretty popular. I hope you’ll check it out too. 🙂
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AFFILIATES HELP YOUR FAVORITE BLOGGERS DELIVER FREE CONTENT. Make sure to always read the directions for any products or tools you use while building. Read the full disclaimer here.
Easy DIY Wood Slice Wall Hook – Materials
- Large Wood Slice, about 12″
- 120-Grit Sandpaper
- Minwax Polycrylic in Clear Matte & a good brush
- Sawtooth Picture Hanger, Nail & 3M Medium Command Strips (optional)
- Drill, Philips Head Screwdriver, & Hammer
- Pretty Wall Hooks – I bought these beautiful birds at Hobby Lobby a few years ago. They haven’t had them at mine the last few times I checked. But they have loads of others. And, Amazon has a huge selection of really cute wall hooks.
Easy DIY Wood Slice Wall Hook – Build Steps
- Sand one side for your wood slice. This will give it a smooth clean surface.
- Slightly Dampen your cloth. Then wipe the dust from the Wood Slice.
- Apply the Polycrylic in a light, even layer. Be sure to keep the Polycrylic off the bark.
- Let the first coat dry, per instructions. Then lightly sand it, wipe clean, and apply a second light, even layer.
- Once that has completely dried, flip the wood slice over on a clean rag (to protect the finish) and attach the Sawtooth Hanger.
- Flip the Easy DIY Wood Slice Wall Hook back over, draw evenly spaced and level marks on the wood slice for your wall hooks.
- Use your drill and a bit slightly smaller than your screws to drill pilot holes on your marks. This will help the screws go in quickly and prevent them from splitting the wood slice.
- Use the screwdriver to tighten the screws into place.
- Attach your hooks to the screws. Make sure they have an even, nice tight fit against the slice.
- Optional Step: If your hooks slide onto the screw, like mine, and you have little kids, like mine, you can use a dab of Elmer’s to secure the hook to the slice. My little guys will shake things on the hooks to try to get them off. Sometimes they twist and shake so much, they pop the hook right off. So, a little dab of Elmer’s keeps the hook in place. And, I can always pop off a small dab of Elmer’s if I need to remove that hook later.
- Hang that Easy DIY Wood Slice Wall Hook from a perfectly placed nail on your wall.
- Second Optional Step: I also use a 3M Command Strip on the back of the wood slice. Like I said earlier, my little guys will try to shake things off the hooks, because they’re so short. That command strip will keep them from pulling the slice off the wall, while the nail holds the bulk of the weight. And it also keeps that Wood Slice perfectly centered. 🙂
Looking for more cute and crafty decor? Try this Indoor Succulent Tray with a Vintage Twist.
Or, have a look at this DIY Yarn Tassel Garland. I even have an easy to follow how-to video.
Feeling inspired? Get out there and make your own Easy DIY Wood Slice Wall Hook. Follow the links above to get the things you’ll need. Have fun and let me know if you have questions. Don’t forget to sign up for the Abbotts At Home email newsletter to get DIY, Remodeling, and Crafty ideas in your inbox.