Try this Easy DIY Mini Lights Decoration Idea, it’s a fun way to organize and show off your photos, art, or even to-do notes!
I’m wrapping up the last projects for the boys’ bedroom makeover and it’s looking so cute. I hope they love it as much as I do. In the last couple of weeks, I’ve been working on the fun, chunky DIY Curtain Rods and the 3D Hot Air Balloon Wall Art. This Easy DIY Mini Lights Decoration Idea for photos and kids art was inspired by my oldest.
He wanted a way to hang things in his room. And we just happened to get these LED clip lights as a Christmas gift. So, this was a perfect opportunity to use them. I have to say they are really cute. This would work for teenagers or college dorm rooms too. And, I’d totally put one in my office. They’re just fun!
Let’s get this build started.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. AFFILIATES HELP YOUR FAVORITE BLOGGERS DELIVER FREE CONTENT. Make sure to always read the directions for any products or tools you use while building. Read the full disclaimer here.
Easy DIY Mini Lights Decoration Idea – Materials
Note: You can use this DIY with any size board you like. The Clip Light String comes in lots of different lengths. 🙂
- 8′ – 1×3 Board – I used Select Pine
- A String of Light Clips
- 150-grit Sandpaper
- Your favorite super glue, I used this one
- Staple Gun and Staples
- Velcro Command Strips and/or Hooks for Hanging the Board
- Paint Brushes or Paint Sponges
- Whichever spray, latex or chalk paint works for you. I used Castle Path by Behr, mixed into a chalk paint with my recipe
- Polyurethane, like Minwax Polycrylic in Clear Matte
Easy DIY Mini Lights Decoration Idea – Build Steps
- Start by sanding all sides and ends of your board smooth.
- Dust off, then apply your stain or paint. If you’re using a type of wood with knots, you should prime before painting.
- Once the board is stained or painted, and dry, apply a coat of Polyurethane to protect the finish.
- Paint the Battery Box to match the board or the wall it will hang on.
- Now the fun part, figure out how far apart you need to space your lights to have them evenly spaced across the board.
- I used a fast-setting super glue to attach the clips to the wood. Just hold each clip in place for 30-seconds for it to set then move to the next one. Quick and Easy!
- Make sure to keep the string untangled as you glue down the clips.
- Once each clip is glued down, you can leave the string between them loose or staple it down, like I did. Be careful with those staples. You don’t want to puncture the wire.
- I also stapled down the extra length of string between the last clip and the battery box to keep it out of sight.
- I used 4 Sets of Velcro Command Strips to attach my board to the wall. And 1 Set to attach the Battery Box to the wall. These things are great, I use them whenever I can to avoid putting holes everywhere. You can also use normal picture hanging hooks. But the board won’t sit flat against the wall.
- Now, fill up those clips with photos, fun memories, kids artwork, your to-do lists, anything you’d like. 🙂
UPDATE: You can see the Boys Bedroom Full Reveal now. I’d love for you to stop by and check it out. 🙂
Want to see another easy wall decor idea? Check out this Wood Slice Wall Hook.
Or add a little style to your home while having fun with your Miter Saw, with this DIY Scrap Wood Wall Art.
Feeling inspired? Get out there and make your own Easy DIY Mini Lights Decoration Ideat. Follow the links above to get the things you’ll need. Have fun and let me know if you have questions. Don’t forget to sign up for the Abbotts At Home email newsletter to get DIY, Remodeling, and Crafty ideas in your inbox.